Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
I have never made a cheese cake, but we needed one for dinner tonight. Here was my attempt.
Chocolate and Peanut Butter Swirl Cheesecake (Gluten-free dairy-free)
* 1 1/2 cups crushed Newman-O's wheat free dairy free cream filled chocolate cookies
* 3 tablespoons Earth Balance buttery spread with olive oil (lactose free/ gluten free), melted
* 10 5/8 ounces extra firm light silken tofu
* 7 7/8 ounces vegan cream cheese (Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese)
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup soymilk
* 3 5/8 ounces chocolate
* 1/3 cup peanut butter
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1 teaspoons vanilla
* 3 tablespoons cornflour
1. To make the crust, grease a pie pan.
2.In a large bowl, stir together the cookie crumbs and the
melted butter. Using your fingertips, firmly and evenly press
the mixture into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
3. For the Cheescake, Preheat the oven to 180°C
5. Drain the tofu and put it and the cream cheese into your
food processor. Blend until smooth.
6. Add the sugar and milk, and process again until sugar is
dissolved, about 3 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients
(except chocolate, peanut butter and crust) and process
until completely smooth, about 3 more minutes.
7. Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe container to a
point that it is soft enough to blend with the other ingredients
(be careful, it's easy to burn chocolate in the microwave). You
can also melt it on the stove in a double boiler.
8. Pour half of your blended cream mixture into a seperate bowl
and then fold in the chocolate until it is fully incorporated.
Pour the chocolate mixture into the pie crust.
9. Add the peanut butter to your remaining cream mixture and
blend again until completely smooth. You may want to taste test
at this point to make sure that the peanut butter flavor is
strong enough. If not, add one tablespoon of peanut butter,
blend, then taste test again. Continue in this way until you are
satisfied with the flavor.
10. Swirl the peanut butter mixture into the pie crust on top of
the chocolate mixture layer and bake in the middle of the oven for
about 55 minutes (do not allow to brown). Filling will be slightly
jiggly, not completely set until chilled.
11. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Refrigerate until completely
chilled (the longer, the better).
**Please note that Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese is not certified as gluten -free. The company states that all the ingredients are gluten-free but they state that the ingredients in the vanilla may or may not contain gluten. This may not be acceptable for individuals with severe sensitivities.
Posted by SensoryMommy at 9:35 AM
Sunday, May 17, 2009
Friday, May 8, 2009
Aiden: Does Grandma have the Slime Flu?
Mommy: No. Where did you hear about the Slime Flu?
Aiden: School. At morning news time.
Mommy: What is the Slime Flu?
Aiden: A really bad flu.
Mommy: Aiden, what did you do at school today?
Aiden: I breathed and walked around.
Posted by SensoryMommy at 5:49 PM